Saturday, September 17, 2016

Brownie My Promise, My Faith Pin (1)

My Promise, My Faith

You can earn this pin each year that you’re a Brownie.  You’ll find that Girl Scouting and your faith have a lot in common!  Complete these 5 steps to earn the pin.
1. Choose one line from the Girl Scout Law.  Find a story, song or poem from your faith with the same ideas.  Talk with your family or friends about what that line of the Law and your choice have in common.
  • I will do my best to be… COURAGEOUS AND CARING
  • “Glory in the Cross” (the Good Friday words, especially verse 2)
    • Let us ever glory in the cross of Christ who redeems us with his blood.  Let us tell the story of the cross of Christ and the power of his saving love. Like a lamb he was slain; he carried our shame, to show us the mercy of God.  Let us ever glory in the cross of Christ and the triumph of God’s great love.
    • Let us bring our burdens to the cross of Christ who has known our sorrow and tears.  IN the great compassion of the heart of Christ, God had walked in our hopes and fears.  He was mocked and betrayed, deserted by friends, and banished to die among thieves.  Let us ever glory in the cross of Christ and the triumph of God’s great love.
    • Let us kneel in homage at the cross of Christ where we see God’s human face.  We behold the Maker of the sun and stars as he hangs on the throne of grace.  As we share in his pain, his sorrow and shame, our hearts will be tested in fire.  Let us ever glory in the cross of Christ and the triumph of God’s great love.
  • Maya can be seen singing verse 2 of the Good Friday words here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o3eji-0g5Q
2. Find a woman in your own or another faith community and ask her how she tries to use that Law in her life.
  • Maya emailed her Aunt Eileen, who is the music director at our church.  
    • Dear Aunt Eileen  I am earning my My Promise, My Faith pin and am asking for your help.  My favorite part of the Girl Scout Law is I will do my best to be courageous and strong For part 2 of my pin can you tell me how you use that part of the girl scout law in your life and what that means to you as a Catholic.  Thank you. Love, Maya

    • (The Response)  Dear Maya,  I am very proud of you for working to earn this pin. Thank you for asking me about being courageous and strong. I believe that as a Catholic and lover of Jesus I need to always try to do what is right in God's eyes. This takes courage because it might be more fun to do what I want sometimes! But then I think about how much God loves me and blesses me, and then I can't say No to Him. He gives me the strength to do His work through me.  Love, Aunt Eileen
3. Gather at least 3 inspirational quotes by women that fit that line of the Girl Scout Law and put them where you can see them every day.
  • Maya selected 12 quotes from different female saints.
    • “If you are what you should be, you will set the whole world ablaze!”  -St. Catherine of Sienna
    • “We always find that those who walked closest to Christ were those who had to bear the greatest trials.”  -St. Teresa of Avila
    • “Love God, serve God; everything is in that.” -St. Clare of Assisi
    • “Whatever God gives and permits…he gives and permits it for our good.”   -St. Catherine of Siena 
    • “If you suffer with Him, you will reign with Him.”  –St Clare of Assisi
    • “I am not afraid.  I was born to do this.”  –St. Joan of Arc
    • “Nothing great is ever achieved without much enduring”  –St Catherine of Siena
    • “Jesus…my strength, fortify me.” -St. Faustina
    • “Apart from the cross, there is no other ladder by which we may get to heaven.”  -St. Rose of Lima
      “I am the handmaid of the Lord.  Let it be done to me according to thy word.” -Blessed Virgin Mary 
    • “The source of justice is not vengeance but charity.”  -Saint Bridget of Sweden
    • “I know well that the greater and more beautiful the work is, the more terrible will be the storms that rage against it.”  -St. Faustina
    • “Do not allow yourselves to be disheartened by any failure as long as you have done your best.”  – St. Teresa of Calcutta
4. Make something to remind you of what you’ve learned.
  • Maya made a craft out of the quotes from #3.  We colored one side of popsicle sticks, then taped a quote to the other side.  Maya decorated a small jar with Brownie stickers and now the jar of inspiration to be courageous and strong sits next to her bed for prayer time.
  
 
5. Keep the connection strong.  Talk with your friends and family about what you’ve learned about your faith and Girl Scouting.  Show them what you’ve made!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment